Divorce is almost never an easy process to complete, and that is no different in Alabama. Even beyond the emotional stress, many individuals find themselves concerned about just how much their divorce in Jefferson County, AL might cost. This is an understandable concern. It is also one that can be difficult to answer given the plethora of factors that impact the final cost.
Contested vs. Uncontested
Uncontested divorces, where all parties involved accept the divorce terms, will cost less than contested divorces. The process tends to move more quickly as both parties strive to move on with their lives, and the court and attorney fees can be significantly less. Contested divorce tends to cost quite a bit more. The legal issues involved in contested can be quite entrenched and complicated, which is why we don’t offer a flat fee estimate for them. With that said, here are some figures to help show what we, at Lloyd & Hogan, charge for divorce in Jefferson County:
- $300 – Consultation Fee
- $300/hour – Kathryn C. Gentle, Esq.
- $175/hour – Emily P. Mauck, Esq.
- $95/hour – paralegal
- Uncontested divorce without dependents or significant assets: $1,250 + filing fees/court costs
- Uncontested divorce with dependents or assets: $1,875 + filing fees/court costs
- Contested divorce: Initial retainer ranges anywhere from $3,500 to $10,000.
Additional costs, including filing fees, service fees, and other miscellaneous expenses, may apply to your divorce. These can include any the following approximate costs:
- $106 – Initial filing fee for a Paternity or Child Support Action
- $207 – Initial Complaint for Divorce
- $315 – Modification or Post-Divorce Action
Finally, quit claim deed filings and service fees might also apply such as:
- $65 – $125 – Service fees depending on the type of service and attempts made
- $175 – Drafting a Quit Claim Deed
- Court Reporter Fees
- Transcript Fees
- $13 – Subpoena Filing Fees
Divorce is a difficult process to complete, but it’s also one that you don’t have to face alone. For more information about your divorce and how the attorneys at Lloyd & Hogan, P.C. can help, reach out to us today.